As a general rule: the bigger the better — less jamming and quieter operation
You just want it to work, you don’t want it to leak, and you want it to be quiet. Improvements in Garbage Disposals have come a long way in just a few short years, but consider yourself warned, all garbage disposals are not created equal. Let’s Fix It Up’s review will help you determine which is BEST garbage disposal for your home. It is not a good idea to assume the least expensive or cheapest disposal, or even the most expensive and highest rated garbage disposal is the right one for you. This review will help you to find the one that is right for your unique needs.
The Most Important Factors in a Great Garbage Disposal
Quiet as a Whisper
The new line up of garbage disposals are equipped with options for quiet grinding. The obnoxious , loud and noisy models are long gone (with the exception of the lower end, less expensive models, generally priced below $100.00). When in use, the garbage disposal should not require you to raise your voice at all to carry on a conversation, even while standing right next to the sink. Nice change from the past. As a general rule of thumb, the heavier and bigger that a garbage disposal is, the more quietly it will run. Purchase a garbage disposal that offers a nylon, insulated grinding chamber.
Garbage disposals are Eco-friendly, as they reduce the amount of garbage in our landfills and they reduce the amount of trash required for curb pickup. Limiting landfill space is a concern we should all take seriously. Even though it might not seem like much, it all adds up.
The Convenience a Garbage Disposal Affords
Preparing a meal creates a lot of mess. The cleanup process is clearly much more efficient and easy if you can stuff leftover food waste down the drain into a Garbage Disposal. Most garbage disposals have a switch located near the kitchen sink. It is as simple as turning on the water, flipping an electrical switch and rinsing your food waste down the drain. A high quality Garbage Disposal offers you and your family a variety of benefits for your home, and as mentioned, the environment as well. Installing one will save you time and money.
Garbage Disposal Horsepower Explained
There are 4 Horsepower options available in Garbage Disposals ;
- 1/3rd Horsepower – This least of the Horsepower models is suitable for very limited use – primarily soft foods, like vegetables. These models also have a propensity to jam.. They may be suitable for 1-2 person households. Simply not enough power, therefore, Not recommended by Let’s Fix It Up
- 1/2 Horsepower –The use of this model is made to accommodate households with 2-3 people, utilize when demand in the kitchen is low. Purchase models with stainless steel components. May make sense for smaller homes and apartments. May make a certain amount of sense for some apartment type uses, however, Not Recommended by Let’s Fix It Up
- 3/4th Horsepower – This garbage disposal model is ideal for households of 4-5 people. This model is most commonly found in the average home. These models are often equipped with more sound dampening features, which reduce the level of noise the unit produces. It is also recommended that you purchase and install models with stainless steel grinding components.
- 1 Horsepower – If you have a large family and produce a lot of waste in the kitchen, then this is the garbage disposal for you! It can handle bones and other tough waste items, these garbage disposals do not jam often and are the most reliable.
A basic rule is, invest in a larger Horsepower model that can be certain to accommodate all your needs. The less powerful models can only lead to frustration and disappointment, as these models simply do not perform as well, and you run the risk of burning the motor out and having clogged plumbing if the Garbage Disposal does not perform its job well. That is why we, at LET’S FIX IT UP can only recommend the 3/4 and 1 horsepower models.
Garbage Disposal Switches & Connections
Today’s garbage disposals are manufactured to match with a sink’s drain outlet, this allows for easy installation. (SEE LET’S FIX IT UP’S GARBAGE DISPOSAL INSTALLATION TUTORIAL) There are a multitude of connection kits and adapters available. Many models feature a power cord that is simply plugged into a nearby outlet to power the unit; however, when an outlet is not available, the unit must be hardwired, which can be significantly more expensive. Usually, unless your home is much older an outlet under the sink has been installed.
Two Well Known & Reliable Food Waste Disposers
- InSinkErator is a brand name that is well-known for their design and manufacturing of waste disposal systems and instant hot water dispensers. Currently, InSinkErator produces and markets garbage disposal systems under the Evolution and Badger Series brand names.
- Waste King – Manufactured in the United States, Waste King garbage disposals have won much praise for their energy efficient design. Waste King offers a wide range of garbage disposers for both residential and commercial settings. Waste King has focused on providing unparalleled customer service and quality products, and their warranties are the current industry standard that others are measured by.
Best Garbage Disposal Overall
The InSinkErator Evolution Excel will rock your world in terms of durability and power. Yes it comes with an above average price tag, but you just won’t find a better disposal unit. Check current pricing here at….
Three Stage Grinding
The first thing that sold me was the grinding system. unlike the other models,, the InSinkerator Evolution Excel uses 3 stage grinding system.
This unit will put and end to your garbage disposal complaints. There will never again be a need for you to change out your garbage disposals because it can’t handle the amount of waste that’s placed into them.
You can put pretty much any type of waste down this one (except utensils). Even if you put bones in it or vegetables that can clog the parts up, this garbage disposer will handle it all very nicely!
Sound Reducing Technology
Many individuals have a Disposal unit that works, but they just can’t stomach the amount of noise it makes anymore. This Disposal uses a quiet sink collar baffle. This baffle, along with the SoundSeal Plus system really does work. It is hard to tell the disposal is actually running it is so quite
Best Value Garbage Disposal (Let’s Fix It Up’s 1st Choice)
InSinkErator Evolution Compact
It might be hard to believe but, yes, you can get one of the best garbage disposals on the market for less than $200! In our opinion, we do not recommend our readers purchase the lower end, less expensive models. It is likely to jam frequently and the noise level will be unacceptable.
Like its big brother, the InSinkErator Evolution Compact has a quiet collar sink baffle and SoundSeal technology. Resulting is a disposer that’s up to a third quieter than the average disposal model. And like the EXCEL model, InSinkErator has also installed extra insulation around the motor housing to reduce the amount of vibration that’s produced while in operation.
Due to the quick lock sink mount, you won’t have to hire a professional to install it, (Please refer to the LET’S FIX IT UP link for an installation tutorial).
The COMPACTS 2 stage grinding system allows you to put most types of waste down the sink without any trouble. This unit does not jam easily.
This is our 1st choice for value and performance combination
If you’ would like to purchase or compare costs of this garbage disposal, you can do so at Amazon.
If you find you cannot decided about this model of garbage disposer, you can compare with the Waste King L-8000, which is a priced a bit lower (see here at Amazon)
Best of the Rest Garbage Disposal
Waste King L-8000
True, it’s not the higher end InSinkErator Evolution or even the Compact, but the Waste King L-8000 does have 1 Horsepower and is extremely well rated in customer reviews.This garbage disposal has an output of one horsepower, and according to the specifications it can turn the chopping blades at 2800 rpm. Making it one of the most powerful models on the market.
One of my favorite features is the Waste King has made this model small enough to fit under just about any kitchen sink, with measurements at 14.25 inches tall and 9 inches wide. This model contains an exceptionally long 36 inch power cord that can reach further then most other models It has corrosion free parts and is also covered with some of the best warranties to be had on the market. Perhaps the best feature of all, is how quiet this disposal is. Due to the technology used with the Waste King L-8000, it hardly makes a sound.
Another great selling feature of the Waste King L-8000 is the price. Although not the least expensive garbage disposal market, it proves to be an excellent value for money at around $130.00 at Amazon, an exceptional price for an awesome disposer. Check here to see the current pricing.
All the above mentioned disposals are as good as garbage disposers can get, if you’re looking for the Top of the line disposal in the InSinkErator or exceptional value in the Waste King. You cannot go wrong with any of these units. Please check out our HOW TO INSTALL tutorial and check out the current pricing on these and other disposal models here